The left side of the builtin consists of a desk with a small set of drawers below and shelves above. Here’s a side panel from the drawer cabinet, showing the dados for the bottom, top, and back panels:
Dry assembly, showing the groove for the face frame. The face frame is just a 3/4″x3/4″ length of poplar with a tongue to fit in the groove on each panel.
Final assembly of the drawer cabinet:
The drawer cabinet will contain a file drawer at the bottom with two shorter drawers above. Here’s the panels for the file drawer. These were made from edge glued 1×6 maple, planed to 5/8″. Lacking a dedicated jointer, I jointed the edges on my router table, which worked well enough that the seams are almost invisible:
The two shorter drawers, during dry assembly:
The box joint jig:
The short drawers after assembly and sanding:
In keeping with the pirate theme of Kyle’s room, I ordered these knobs for his desk drawers:
There’s actually only 3 drawers, so one of the knobs will be walking the plank. Yarrrr. Shiver me timbers.
The bookshelf will fit on the right side of the window, above the bench. It has top and bottom fixed shelves, plus four adjustable shelves on pins.
The bookshelf with the face frame in place:
The bookshelf with the face frame removed:
Detail of the nosing for the bookshelf shelves:
I also finished the top for the bench. Here it is in place.
I’m building a builtin window bench, bookcase and desk for Kyle’s room. The whole assembly will fit against his window wall, with the desk to the left, the window bench in the middle, and a narrow bookshelf to the right. I have completed the bench portion with the exception of the top. It’s currently unfinished, but will be painted white (“almost” white, anyway – the color is Quail Egg at Lowes)
The bench is broken into two sections to make it easier to get upstairs. Here’s the left section, built of MDO plywood:
This is the right section of the bench. The bookshelf will fit above the right end of this section.
This is a baffle that goes under the left portion of the bench. The room vent is not centered on the window, so this baffle simply allows the vent to be shifted over so it will be centered.
The face frame for the bench. Once this is applied to the front, the two bench sections will appear to be one continuous piece:
Closeup of the bead detail around the face frame openings. The bookshelf and desk will feature similar details. The bead is actually a separate trim piece that I fabricated then glued and nailed to the face frame.
Rear shot of the face frame showing the applied beads and the pocket screws used to hold the face frame together. These pocket screws combined with glue make for an incredibly strong and tight joint.
The assembly techniques for these cabinets was based on the Kitchen Project on New Yankee Workshop.
We brought back the company that put in our patio to finish up some of the masonry work in the back yard. This included capping off the vegetable garden wall that I had built and adding a low retaining wall along the north flower beds. We decided on the retaining wall because mulch and soil from the beds kept washing into the yard.
The vegetable garden. I built the semicircular wall, and we just had them cut and install the cap stones.
The columns next to the back stoop had started to tilt a little due to soil settling, so they rebuilt them under warranty.
The base for the retaining wall, and the block stacked in the yard.
The east path along the vegetable garden, which I finished installing earlier this spring.
A short extension to the vegetable garden wall.
The western end of the retaining wall, which surrounds the iris bed.
A view of the entire retaining wall
The step up to the patio, which is not completely finished.
The western path along the vegetable bed, also not finished.
Ian, serving as job foreman.
When the guy was outside rebuilding the column by the stoop, Kyle went and got some bricks and a hammer and joined in: