A Chess Board for Ian

Ian has been really interested in board games lately, so for Christmas I decided to make him a chess board. I bought the chess pieces off of amazon, then designed a board to fit them.

Alternating 2

Alternating strips of walnut (from my Dad’s supply) and maple (from Menards)

The strips glued and clamped

The strips glued and clamped

The board of strips was then crosscut into 2" widths. The resulting checkered strips were alternated to make the chessboard squares.

The board of strips was then crosscut into 2″ widths. The resulting checkered strips were alternated to make the chessboard squares.

Because of the complexity of this glueup, I did it in three stages. In the first stage I biscuited and glued the strips in pairs. I then glued the pairs together to make to halves, then glued the halves together.

Because of the complexity of this glueup, I did it in three stages. In the first stage I biscuited and glued the strips in pairs. I then glued the pairs together to make to halves, then glued the halves together.

The final assembly glued and clamped.

The final assembly glued and clamped.

1/8" edge banding in maple and walnut

1/8″ edge banding in maple and walnut

Detail of the edge banding

Detail of the edge banding

The edges were originally going to be solid walnut. While cutting the miters for the corners, however, I made a bad cut so the corners weren't going to match up. Rather than plane and saw more walnut, I just cut each edge in half and inserted a 1/2" strip of maple as a detail. The end result looks very nice and you would never guess it was the result of a mistake.

The edges were originally going to be solid walnut. While cutting the miters for the corners, however, I made a bad cut so the corners weren’t going to match up. Rather than plane and saw more walnut, I just cut each edge in half and inserted a 1/2″ strip of maple as a detail. The end result looks very nice and you would never guess it was the result of a mistake.

Edges biscuited and glued on. You can never have too many clamps.

Edges biscuited and glued on. You can never have too many clamps.

Final result before beveling the edges and sanding

Final result before beveling the edges and sanding

Edges beveled on the table saw and sanded to 220 grit.

Edges beveled on the table saw and sanded to 220 grit.

Sprayed down for wet sanding. My favorite part of any woodworking project is to see the color of the wood come alive like this.

Sprayed down for wet sanding. My favorite part of any woodworking project is to see the color of the wood come alive like this.

Wet sanded to 320 grit and ready for finish.

Wet sanded to 320 grit and ready for finish.

The (almost) end result. Still needs a couple more coats of lacquer.

The (almost) end result. Still needs a couple more coats of lacquer.

The SketchUp design for the board.

The SketchUp design for the board.

Comments are closed.